17 February 2016

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Series: Red Queen #2
Publisher: Orion
Publication Date: February 11th 2016
Source: Received from publisher (Netgalley)



If there's one thing Mare Barrow knows, it's that she's different.

Mare's blood is red - the colour of common folk - but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control.

The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from the prince and friend who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling: she is not the only one of her kind.

Pursued by the Silver king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red and Silver fighters to join in the struggle against her oppressors.

But Mare finds herself on a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat. Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her forever?

Red Queen was one of my favourite books of last year and I've been eagerly anticipating the sequel ever since! So I was super excited to get the chance to read it early and I spent a whole day doing just that and avoiding everything else I should have been doing. Glass Sword was an amazing sequel and yet again, Victoria Aveyard has left me dying for the next book!

So, Glass Sword picks up right after Red Queen. Mare and Cal have escaped from the Silver King and have joined up with The Scarlet Guard. The Scarlet Guard are intent on taking down the Silver King and everything he stands for. Mare comes up with a plan to rescue more 'newbloods' (people with Red blood and Silver abilities) like herself and build and army to fight the King.

Holy crap this book man! This book! As soon as I finished Red Queen last year I've was dying to get my hands on the sequel and it was totally worth the wait! Glass Sword was jam-packed full of action and kept me on my toes! 

Mare is still so damn amazing! I love her. She's strong and determined, and she'll do whatever she has to to save her people, no matter what the consequences are. I also loved getting to see more of Mare's family! I adored seeing Gisa again and seeing how she's adjusting to her hand injury. She's blossoming and still trying her hardest to make beautiful things. I also really enjoyed getting to see Mare's relationship with her brother Shade. Mare has spent the past few years thinking her brother had been killed, but he's been alive all along and working with The Scarlet Guard. So it was really nice to see them together again because they were so close.

Calis not entirely sure what side he's fighting for in Glass Sword. He can't bring himself to kill his own blood, no matter what they do to him or anyone else. He still feels like he should be loyal to his people, even if they are hunting him. I really don't like Kilorn. He was acting like a 5 year old. He's in the middle of a war and throws a hissy fit when he can't go on expeditions. GROW. UP.

Story wise, the book was just action, action, action! We were always following Mare on trips to find other 'newbloods' or running from The Silver King, there was never a chance to catch my breath! I was always on edge!

And then yet again Victoria Aveyard DESTROYED ME with that damn ending! WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME?! But anyways, now I'm even more excited for book 3!

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you Samantha, I adored watching Mare's relationship with Shade, Aveyard did an amazing job at making their sibling relationship come alive. I also loved following Mare on her adventure to find the newbloods, I never knew when anyone would make it back safe! The wait for the next book is going to be super tough, especially with the way things ended. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I didn't read your review because I still haven't read Red Queen. March, maybe....hopefully....
    But I saw your rating, so that's awesome! I hope I can love this series as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your review after reading some that didn't enjoy this one so much. I look forward to reading it soon and see what camp I fall into. I do love a lot of action! I am so glad you loved this one. I hope the next book is a five star read for you too.

    ReplyDelete