18 January 2014

Daylighters by Rachel Caine

Daylighters by Rachel Caine
Series: The Morganville Vampires #15
Publisher: Allison & Busby
Publication Date: November 5th 2013
Source: Bought



While Morganville, Texas, is often a troubled town, Claire Danvers and her friends are looking forward to coming home. But the Morganville they return to isn’t the one they know; it’s become a different place—a deadly one…

Something drastic has happened in Morganville while Claire and her friends were away. The town looks cleaner and happier than they’ve ever seen it before, but when their incoming group is arrested and separated—vampires from humans—they realize that the changes definitely aren’t for the better.

It seems that an organization called the Daylight Foundation has offered the population of Morganville something they’ve never had: hope of a vampire-free future. And while it sounds like salvation—even for the vampires themselves—the truth is far more sinister and deadly.

Now, Claire, Shane and Eve need to find a way to break their friends out of Daylighter custody, before the vampires of Morganville meet their untimely end.

May contain spoilers for previous books

The Morganville Vampires has been one of my favourite series since I was in 3rd year at high school (which was about 7 years ago) and it's still one of my favourites. I've been dreading the moment when this series would come to an end because I didn't think I would be able to let go of these characters. But I have to say Daylighters was the perfect ending to this series and I honestly couldn't have seen it ending any other way. Although I'm extremely upset that this series has come to an end, I'm very happy with the way it ended.

Daylighters picks up where Fall of Night left off. Oliver, Michael, Jesse & Myrnin have been subdued by the Daylight Foundation (because they're vampires) and Eve, Shane, Claire and Dr. Anderson have been arrested. The Daylight Foundation has taken over Morganville since they've been away and the place has never looked better. The houses are clean and tidy, and the Morganville residents are happily walking the streets - which instantly makes them realise that there's something majorly wrong. All the vampires are missing. The Daylight Foundation has them locked up and are planning on 'helping them' so that they can be released.

Claire has always been one of my favourite female characters because she's so strong. Claire has gone through a hell of a lot throughout this whole series and she's grown into such an amazing person. I really admire Claire's determination and her feisty attitude. 

Eve is another one of my favourite female characters because she's just such a badass! Eve doesn't take shit from anyone and I just love seeing her in action.

Shane is such an amazing character too. He's so protective and strong, and he's pretty badass too. He's always looking out for his friends which makes him an amazing character.

Michael, Myrnin, Amelie and Oliver were all fantastic in this book as well. Michael was just as sweet and lovely as he usually is (minus that one incident). Myrnin was just as crazy and psycho as usual. Amelie was even more badass and amazing than usual, and Oliver was his usual badass and douche-bag self.

The storyline of this book was crazy and full of twists and surprises. There was one major twist that had me in tears because I was so freaking happy - Spoiler (Michael became human again! How freaking amazing was that?! I was so convinced he was going to die, but he didn't! And now he and Eve can live a happy, normal life together <3). But the amount of action in this book was amazing. I'm a massive action fan so I loved all the fight scenes and all the plotting that was happening and it just kept me on my toes! I never knew what this book was going to throw at me next!

The ending was craaaazy! The big fight scene at the end had me hooked because I was hoping that none of the characters I loved would die because I didn't think I'd be able to take it since I've grown to love them all.
The very last chapter was such a cute (and slightly cheesy) way to end the series. I couldn't not love it though because these characters deserve a happy ending after everything they've been through so it made me smile and even brought a tear to my eye.

Overall, Daylighters was a fantastic way to wrap up the Morganville Vampires series. I'm still pretty sad that I'm not going to have another book about these characters, but on the bright side, I can now go and re-read the full series and fall in love with it all over again! If you haven't read this series yet, it's one that I can't recommend enough. It's my all time favourite vampire series and I recommend it to everyone who hasn't read it yet because it's amazing.

4 comments:

  1. I guess I'll just have to read the whole series, then! I haven't started it yet, and wow, 15 books sounds a wee bit daunting right now, even more with my currently overflowing TBR list!

    Very glad to hear you got a conclusion to a fave series that you are really happy about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! I'd definitely recommend reading this series! It's the best vampire series I've ever read. There's so much action and fighting, twists and turns and you never know where the story is going to go!
      It was just the most perfect ending ever. I really do hope you start this series :)

      Delete
  2. This review just echoes all of my thoughts. Like you, I have been reading this series for so long and I was dreading the ending so much. However, it was perfect :) I do believe a re-read/marathon of the series in order in a few months time :) just to re-live it!

    Side note: That thing with the spoiler, the turning the font white and highlighting it if they want to see it - that is an amazing idea which I have never seen before! My mind is blown! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put of reading it for about a month because I just couldn't bring myself to read it. It was perfect though and I can't fault the ending. Yes! I may have to do that as well.
      Really? I saw it around a lot last year.

      Delete