21 December 2013

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines #3
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: February 12th 2013
Source: Library



Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives.

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she struggles to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she finally tracks down the elusive, enigmatic Marcus Finch – a former Alchemist who the organisation denies exists, and who lives in shadows, on the run. With Marcus's help, Sydney realises that the group she's been loyal to her whole life has been hiding the truth from her. Is it possible that her golden lily tattoo might have more power over her than she thinks?

As she struggles to come to terms with what that might mean, Sydney is compelled to use her growing magical powers to track down an evil magic user who is targeting powerful young witches. Using magic goes against everything she always thought she believed, but she realises that her only hope is to embrace her special blood – or else she might be next.

Forging her own way is harder than Sydney ever dreamed. Maybe by turning off her brain – and following her heart – she'll be able to finally figure out where she belongs.

The Indigo Spell has definitely been my favourite Bloodlines book so far. I just felt like the whole story line was a million times better than the previous two (even though I loved them) because everything was finally coming to a head and Sydney would have to make her choice.

Sydney is just getting stronger and stronger as this series goes on. She's uncovered a lot of secrets about the Alchemists and she's realised that she wants out. She doesn't want them controlling her, plus, she actually wants to be friends with the Moroi/Dhampires. She genuinely likes them. I just adore Sydney. I think she's one of the most awesome characters ever. Plus, she's a complete badass when she's using magic. I'm enjoying seeing her development throughout the series because she's a completely different person now and she's changed for the better.

Every time I talk about Adrian I probably just repeat myself because I just love him so much that I just like gushing about him. He's so adorable and sweet, hilarious, sarcastic and very protective of Sydney. Adrian had me smiling and laughing most of the way through this book and that's why he's one of my favourite characters ever. He's just amazing.

We finally got some Sydrian action in this one and it left me squealing. I couldn't help it, I just love these two so much and they just have to be together because they're perfect. They've got such a strong bond and the chemistry between them is undeniable (even though Sydney tries her hardest to deny it).

Sydney has realised that the Alchemists are keeping things from her and she's determined to get to the bottom of why they're keeping secrets. Sydney uncovers some things about Marcus Finch (a former Alchemist) and whenever Sydney asks about him she's told he doesn't exist. Sydney manages to track down Marcus and finds out that Marcus managed to break his Alchemist tattoo and has been hiding from them for years. Marcus lets Sydney in on a few of the Alchemists secrets and Sydney realises that she'll do anything to break their control over her. If that wasn't enough to be dealing with, there was also a Witch that was hunting down young, powerful witches and draining their magic. Miss Telliweger believes that Sydney is in danger so she makes her a charm and sends her off to find other witches and give them charms to protect them. 

The end of the last chapter kind of just made me go 'Oh, shit.' I knew that it wasn't going to be good for Sydney because she's rebelling against the Alchemists (and also because of what happened at the museum!). I should have know that nothing is ever happy in a Richelle Mead book. Something always comes along and destroys the happiness. 

Overall, I absolutely loved this book. I ended up diving straight into The Fiery Heart after this one because I was desperate to see how Sydney was going to handle everything and plus, I was looking forward to seeing a certain couple actually being a couple! 

4 comments:

  1. Every single one of your reviews just makes me want to read the VA series and this one as soon as possible! I will have to get through my review pile during the holidays so I can start with these soon before all the final books of series come out by the end of Jan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read them! :D
      Haha, I'm actually really excited to see what you think of them :)

      Delete
  2. I am so happy you are going through these so fast! :D I read all of them in a day. <3
    I was really glad things finally started to make more sense in this one, too, but I liked book 2 more nevertheless. Sydney really did change a lot and I am so glad she did. She goes through a great transformation and she grows so much as a character it's really amazing.
    You just wait till you read the 4th novel: MENTAL! :D
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I just flew through them! I'm loving this series.
      I actually thought this one was a lot better. I enjoyed seeing the major change in Sydney and the introduction of Marcus brought a lot more into the story for me.
      I loved The Fiery Heart but it made me cry! Why did it have to end like that?!

      Delete