11 November 2013

Hidden Wings by Cameo Renae

Hidden Wings by Cameo Renae
Series: Hidden Wings #1
Publisher: Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing
Publication Date: January 16th 2013
Source: Netgalley [Indie Inked]



Seventeen is a life changing age for Emma Wise. As her family's sole survivor in a car crash, she is left with a broken arm and a few scrapes and bruises. But these are only outward marks; inside, her heart is broken and the pieces scattered.

Whisked away to Alaska, to an aunt she’s never met, Emma starts over. Secrets unveil themselves and now…she doesn't even know who or what she is.

A centuries old prophecy places Emma in the heart of danger. Creatures of horrifying and evil proportions are after her, and it will take Emma, her aunt, and six, gorgeously captivating Guardians to keep her safe. But, if she can survive until her eighteenth birthday... things will change.

Hidden Wings started out great for me. Emma was in a car accident and she was the only survivor. She found out she had an Aunt living in Alaska who wanted her to come and live with her. And then things went rapidly downhill for me.

Emma pissed me off so freaking much it was unreal. Her parents had just died and she'd been left alone, but the second a hot guy enters the picture she pretty much forgets all of this and only thinks about it every other chapter. I mean, COME ON! How is that realistic?! If my parents died in a car crash and I survived, I'd be a complete wreck! No hot guy would be able to distract me from that pain, so I just couldn't take her seriously. She was so damn naive and stupid and I wanted to hit her so bad.

Enter Kade. The extremely hot guy who makes Emma's knees weak and makes her forget her parents just died. Excuse me while I vomit. Kade was a nice enough guy, but that whole insta-love thing bugged me so much, Before they'd even met Emma was having reactions to his presence. When they touched there was electricity, they wanted to jump each other every time they touched or were near each other and it just made me laugh. How am I supposed to take that seriously? Really?

The storyline was ridiculous and I'll put my hand up and admit that I skim read the last 50% because I really couldn't be bothered anymore. There were some extremely predictable twists that I'd guessed pretty much as soon as Emma arrived in Alaska but they weren't revealed until the end. Emma and Kade's relationship got even more ridiculous and I just couldn't take it anymore.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm trying to catch up on my Netgalley books and that I'm determined to finish them all, I would have DNF'd this book. It was that bad.

Overall, this book definitely wasn't my cup of tea. I couldn't deal with the cheesy insta-love and the extremely predictable plot. I definitely won't be continuing with this series.

3 comments:

  1. I hate when a book doesn't meet my expectations. So very disappointing. This one looked good, but now...not so much.

    I would like to inform you that I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. I hope you accept and join in the fun of this blog prompt. See my post for more details.

    http://ebonyinkreviews.blogspot.com/2013/11/liebster-award-i.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did look good. It started off good, but went very quickly downhill for me.
      Thanks so much Jen for nominating me, but my blog is an award free zone. But still, thank you for nominating me :)

      Delete
  2. Ohh man, I am happy I read this review. Insta-love is usually a big turn off for me. I won this book in a giveaway (with some other books I really wanted to read) so I am glad to know this one will probably not be my cup of tea.

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete