16 August 2013

My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #2
Publisher: Mira Ink
Publication Date: December 29th 2009
Source: Bought



When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies. So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul. 

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld - a consequence they can't possibly understand. 

 Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk...

Rachel Vincent is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors, and I've only read books by her! The Soul Screamers series is so different to anything I've read before because it's about Banshees (Bean Sidhes) and that's a completely new world to me. There's so much to explore and so many different enemies that I'm completely fascinated by this series.

Kaylee is a fantastic main character. She's always trying to protect people no matter how much danger she puts herself in and in this one, she gets gets herself into a lot of danger trying to save Tod's ex. She's selfless, strong and does whatever she wants to do. She never gets talked out of something after she's set her mind to it, and I love that about her.

I love Nash too. There are times when it annoys me when he always tries to talk Kaylee out of things, he's only trying to protect her but it still annoys me. He's such a sweet and loving boyfriend. I love him and Kaylee together.

Tod is such a brilliant character too. He's so funny and he's always popping in on Kaylee and Nash when they're in the middle of something and it always cracks me up. He seems determined to ruin their alone time at all costs.

Kaylee is building a relationship with her father after he showed up in the first book. They're trying to work everything out, but Kaylee is still annoyed at her father for not being part of her life until recently and she hates that he's being overprotective. Her father is just trying to make it up to her, but I think he's going about it the wrong way.

I never thought that the story could get more interesting after the first book, but Vincent managed to surprise me. The second I found out that Eden died without a soul, I was desperate to know how and why it happened. And then we found out there was someone else scheduled to die without a soul, and Kaylee threw herself into saving her. They uncovered a lot in this book, and I was hooked! I'm really loving discovering this world because it something that hasn't been done before, so I'm really enjoyed learning about banshees, their world and what they can do. 

The netherworld is something I'm looking forward to discovering more about as the series goes on. It's a very interesting and dangerous place, considering that's where the hellions live. I'm assuming there are a lot of other creatures that live in the netherworld that we haven't met yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they are and what trouble they're going to cause for Kaylee.


Overall, this was such a fantastic sequel! I loved it and I couldn't wait to read more about these characters and their world so I ended up picking the 3rd book - My Soul to Keep - right after I finished this book. I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the rest of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment