28 June 2013

Bitter Blood by Rachel Caine

Bitter Blood (The Morganville Vampires #13)
by Rachel Caine

For years, the human and vampire residents of Morganville, Texas, have managed to co-exist in peace. But now that the threat to the vampires has been defeated, the human residents are learning that the gravest danger they face is the enemy within…

Thanks to the eradication of the parasitic creatures known as the draug, the vampires of Morganville have been freed of their usual constraints. With the vampires indulging their every whim, the town’s human population is determined to hold on to their lives by taking up arms. But college student Claire Danvers isn’t about to take sides, considering she has ties to both the humans and the vampires.

To make matters worse, a television show comes to Morganville looking for ghosts, just as vampire and human politics collide. Now, Claire and her friends have to figure out how to keep the peace without ending up on the nightly news… or worse.



The Morganville Vampire series focuses around our 4 main characters: Claire, Shane, Eve & Michael - who are known collectively as The Glass House Residents [because they live in the Glass House].

So this one picks up after Black Dawn with Morganville piecing itself back together after defeating the draug (mysterious creatures that prey on vampires). Although, what the residents quickly realise is that the tables are turning and the vampires are taking charge again. The vampires are getting hunting privileges; humans must carried ID cards - with their blood type on it - at all times; A ghost hunting TV show comes to Morganville; Captain Obvious is making a return and The Glass House Residents are the target of the human & vampire population.

I'd been dying to dive back into this series for a while. It's been ages since I read it - I think it's been about a year - and I was craving my Morganville fix. There's always a lot going on in Morganville so there's never a dull moment, and this book kept that going.

Claire Danvers is one of my all time favourite kick ass female characters. She's ballsy, intelligent, funny, confident and doesn't let the vampires push her around - which gets her in trouble most of the time. She was determined to stick up for the human residents in this one and get the town back to what it used to be instead of letting the vampires have free reign.

I love Eve too. She doesn't take any shit from anyone. She's such a strong, feisty characters.

Michael & Shane are both brilliant too. They're both willing to do anything for Claire & Eve. Michael is rational and Shane is impulsive. They both compliment each other.

I actually couldn't believe that Amelia had let Oliver get his hooks into her! I honestly thought she would have know better - I mean, she's know him forever. So she had to have had her suspicions. And I can't believe she didn't listen to Myrnin! Sure he's a crazy, psychotic vampire, but he has great instincts and she should have listened to him over Oliver.

I enjoyed finding out the underlying story and finding out who it was that was calling on the shots and pulling the strings. It wasn't who I'd expected because I actually thought this character was dead - but unfortunately for the Morganville residents, they weren't.

The ghost hunting TV show storyline was pretty intersting at all. At first, I didn't think there were any ghosts in Morganville - excluding the one we knew about - but then this TV show turns up and there are suddenly ghosts everywhere! I liked that storyline and how everything panned out in the end.

The Morganville Vampires series is my all time favourite Vampire series. I'm not a massive fan of Vampires, but this is one series that I absolutely love and I always will.
If you haven't started reading The Morganville Vampires series yet, I highly suggest you do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment