28 May 2013

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost — regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.



I'd seen a lot of amazing reviews for this book, plus one of my friends kept going on and on at me to get this book and read it. So when I got it for my birthday, I knew that I had to read it this month. I was actually expecting to really enjoy this book. The synopsis sounded really interesting and I was looking forward to reading it. However, I actually didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. There were too many things I got annoyed with. It was still enjoyable, but it's definitely not one of my favourite books.

I liked the main character Aislinn. She could see faeries but had to pretend that she couldn't. I really admired how she could do that even when they were right in her face or were talking about her. It's definitely not something I could have done. She was just a nice, genuine, intelligent character and I really liked her.

I loved Seth! He was so sweet, thoughtful and caring. You could tell that he had feelings for Aislinn, but she just couldn't see it. I felt really bad for him because it kind of seemed like she was leading him on a bit and he was such a nice character.

And then we had Keenan. The Summer King. Oh, how I hated him. He was such an arrogant ass! He was controlling and pushing and he was always following Aislinn around and stalking her. I really couldn't stand him. He was trying to push Aislinn into something she didn't want, push himself on to her and I really just wanted to slap him. And I hated him for what happened to Donia.

Donia was a brilliant character as well. I really felt bad for her because of her situation. She was so in love with Keenan, but she couldn't have him because of what she was. She was nice and friendly and I just loved her. 

I absolutely HATED the romance in this book. I liked Aislinn/Seth, but that was about the only one. I hated that Keenan and Aislinn had an attraction, Donia kind of liked Seth, and then there was Keenan and Donia. Seriously, there was too much. It was driving me insane by the end. 

The storyline was alright. Nothing fantastic. Just Keenan trying to persuade Aislinn into becoming his queen so he could overthrow his mother. It was just an average storyline.

I'll probably be reading the second book eventually. I have it sitting on my shelf, so I'll get around to it at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment