5 May 2013

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.


It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?


I think this is the first horror novel I've read in years. I hate reading them. I'd much rather watch a horror movie because when I'm reading, my imagination goes into overdrive and I start to freak myself out. Even though I did it with this book, I'm so glad that I decided to pick this up. Seriously, it was the best horror novel I've ever read. It had me on edge the whole time and I was desperate to know who the killer was. I was hooked from the very start. 


Like I said, I was hooked right from the start of this book. The storyline about a house party on an island really appealed to me for some reason. I think it might have been the fact that the island was deserted (basically) and that would have added more suspense to the book (which it did).


I really liked the main character Meg. She was just a normal girl with a bipolar best friend who was off her meds. So Meg was always looking after Minnie. I admire her for being able to deal with Minnie because she was so high maintenance and kind of bitchy that I don't think I could have dealt with her. Meg was a quiet character who would much rather spend her time on her laptop writing than go to a party. I really liked that about her character. She kind of reminded me of me. I'd much rather spend my nights curled up with a book than go out to a party. She was definitely my favourite character in the book.


The murders in this book started out with you wondering if there actually was a murderer on the island or if they were just accidents/suicide, but by about the 3rd or 4th death, it became pretty obvious that their was a killer to the characters in the book. I think they were still trying to convince each other that they were accidents, but I think I would probably do the same to try and make myself feel slightly better in that kind of situation. 


I think I'd made my 2 prediction for the killer about 100 pages in. I'm not going to mention my two predictions because they you'll know who it isn't! But I will say that I was shocked! I honestly didn't see the killer coming! It was a huge surprise. I think I spend about 2 mins going 'NO FREAKIN' WAY!'. It was such an unexpected twist, and I loved it!


I absolutely loved this book! If you're into horror/mystery novels I definitely recommend this one! Even if you're not, I recommend it anyways because it was just so good! I ended up giving this book:

I'm really excited to read more of Gretchen McNeil's books because this one was brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment