16 May 2013

Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger

Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is.

Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life.

When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And their greatest danger is not the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them.


So this was probably my most anticipated debut novel for this year. I was so excited when I heard the storyline and saw the cover and I just couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Thankfully, I wasn't let down when I read it. I thought it was such and fascinating and interesting story and I fell in love with it.

It's basically about these two teenagers Audra and Vane who are sylph - they can control the wind - but Vane doesn't know he's a sylph and he's extremely special, so Audra has to protect him and try to get him to remember who he is when she realises they're in danger.

I've never read a book that had people who could control wind before, and that was the main thing that fascinated me about this book. I loved seeing how Audra connected with the wind like she was part of it and the way she could control it and make it move to form these powerful weapons. It was interesting seeing that each of the 4 winds - Northerly, Southerly, Easterly & Westerly - all had their own unique songs/language to control them. I was completely fascinated by it. 

Audra was a fantastic character. She's tough, strong, funny and extremely powerful. She's also an extremely vulnerable character. She blames herself for her father's death and her mother hates her. I really felt for Audra. I connected with her straight away. 

I really loved Vane's character. Vane survived a hurricane that killed his parents, but he lost all his memories from before that day and doesn't remember anything. Vane was such cocky, confident, lovable character. I really enjoyed seeing his development in this book. He had to adjust from being a normal teenage boy to a supernatural being who could control the wind. He slightly annoyed me at the start, but as he progressed and discovered who he really was he grew on me and by the end I loved him. 

Audra and Vane's relationship was an odd one. You could tell there was connection between them, but Audra was always doing her best to keep her distance. They had a great friendship and I loved seeing Audra knock Vane on his ass when he was being cocky or refusing to believe his powers.
And then we find out the reason that Audra is distancing herself from Vane - he's supposed to be with someone else! And at that point I was like "Who is this bitch who has a claim on Vane?" I just wanted Audra and Vane together so much! They had so much chemistry and their feelings were clearly mutual, so I was like "Screw that other bitch! Just kiss him Audra!"

There was a lot of action at the end of this book when it came to the massive fight scene. This part of the book fascinated me. Reading about Vane and Audra using their abilities to form weapons and fight was brilliant! I was amazed by everything they could do, it was fantastic! 

And then!! We find out something MAJOR that had me completely shocked! I actually couldn't believe it! I really felt for Audra when it happened. Audra's mum is such a bitch! I hate her.

I definitely recommend this book. It was fascinating, different and the action is superb. I'm so excited for the next one and I'm sad that I need to wait another year for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment