4 May 2013

Die For Me by Amy Plum

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.





So this is was my first read of May and I'm so glad that it was this one! I didn't really know much about this book when I started it, but I was really intrigued by the story and the cover was just so beautiful!


So this book follows our main character Kate who moves to Paris with her sister to live with her grandparents after her parents are killed. 


Kate was a very interesting character. She was kind of like the person I'd be if I lived in Paris - reading books in coffee shops. She was always reading as well which was another thing I liked about her. She was a nice, friendly character who was having to deal with the death of her parents. I felt really sorry for Kate and her sister, but most of the time they managed to be strong and get on with their lives.


I loved the setting in Paris. Paris is probably my favourite place for a book to be set now. Even though I've only read like 3 book set there! I felt like I was in Paris with Kate. Wandering through the streets, going to museums/galleries and sitting in the little coffee shops. Paris is somewhere I've always wanted to visit, and after all of these books I'm even more desperate to go!


And then we meet Vincent. The mysterious guy in the coffee shop. I know right away that I was going to love him. He's such a sweet and caring character. He'd do anything to be with Kate. There are some times that he comes across as kind of stalkerish, but I guess that's just Vincent. Vincent is a Revenant which, as they describe it, is kind of a cross between a Zombie and Ghost. He's also immortal. The have a special purpose in life which is good because of what they're doing, but it's horrible because of what they have to do. 


The Revenants have enemies called the Numas who are also in Paris and the Numas purpose in life is the opposite of the Revenants. They're the bad guys!


I'm really interested to learn more about Kate's grandfather because he seemed to know about the Numas so I'm interested to find out if he knows about Vincent or whether he had a run in with a Numa at some point in his life.


I adored the romance in this book. Kate and Vincent were just so sweet together! They made the perfect couple. Their relationship wasn't instantaneous, and they went through their ups and downs over a month or two. The other thing I liked about their relationship is that the words 'I love you' were not said out loud! Neither of the characters said this to each other and I was so happy! It's rare that you get a YA book where the characters don't declare their love for each other in the first book, so I was really happy with that.


There was some action in this book with the fights between the Revenants and the Numa and I really enjoyed them. Especially the end fight! That was awesome! I was on the edge of my seat during that one.


I absolutely loved this book! Which is why I gave it:

I'll definitely be buying the rest of the series this month because I'm dying to know what's going to happen next!

2 comments:

  1. Trés bon!! Real good. The series keeps getting better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the series, I've seen a lot of great reviews for it! :D

      Delete