17 May 2013

ACID by Emma Pass


2113. In Jenna Strong’s world, ACID – the most brutal, controlling police force in history – rule supreme. No throwaway comment or muttered dissent goes unnoticed – or unpunished. And it was ACID agents who locked Jenna away for life, for a bloody crime she struggles to remember.

The only female inmate in a violent high-security prison, Jenna has learned to survive by any means necessary. And when a mysterious rebel group breaks her out, she must use her strength, speed and skill to stay one step ahead of ACID – and to uncover the truth about what really happened on that dark night two years ago.










This was such a fantastic debut novel! I was hooked from the very first chapter. I was packed with action and I loved the storyline.

So this book is set in the year 2113 and the UK is now the IRB and is run by ACID - police force. Jenna is in prison for murdering her parents when she was 15 years old. And then a lot of stuff happens that I can't tell you because it was spoil the book!

Jenna was a character I was unsure of to start with. I didn't know whether I should like her or not because she killed her parents - I was really confused. But either way, I couldn't deny that Jenna was such a kick ass character. She was strong, tough and never let prison take away her spirit. 
But then as the book went on and I started to learn more about Jenna, I grew to like her character. She's just the young girl who's extremely confused and doesn't know what's happened. I really felt for her. She was still kick ass though.

Max was a character that I instantly liked. I was shocked when it came into it though because of some circumstances that involved his dad earlier on in the book. I just didn't expect to see his character. Max was just a sweet, kind, naive character who had been dragged into something he didn't understand. I felt really bad for him because of the things he's been through and what happened to his family.

ACID are the ruling government of the IRB - I can't remember what that stands for - and they're extremely brutal. They go to extreme lengths to cover up their actions and a lot is uncovered about them in this book. You find out just how corrupt they actually are.

FREE are a group working against ACID and are trying to find evidence to overthrow them. They've infiltrated ACID and have helped a lot of people that ACID have wrongfully imprisoned/punished.

And then we have the NRA. The rebel group working against ACID who don't care about the consequences of their actions. The NRA group we met in this book is run by this guy called Jacob who is a complete ass. I had my suspicions about him right away and I just really didn't like him.

There was some romance in this book but it wasn't the main focus. It was interlaced throughout and there definitely wasn't any insta love (which I enjoyed). The romance kind of became a main focus towards the end, but I could deal with that because of the situation and the reason it became the main focus.

There was so much going on in this book that I started to get confused sometimes. Mainly with the amount of different names Jenna had. First she was Jenna, then Mia, then Sarah, then Jessica and then she pretended to be Holly. So, you can see why I got confused. There were so many different names that I had no idea what to call her.

The ending was nice (for a dystopian) and it had a slight hint that could lead to there maybe being a second book, but it also wraps things up nicely that it'd be fine if it was just a standalone.

I really did enjoy this book. It was action packed and I just didn't want to put it down. This is definitely a book that I recommend reading.

4 comments:

  1. I am now officially intrigued and will look into this further. I love the cover. Thanks for the great review!

    Kay @ It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really amazing book! I definitely recommend checking it out :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read this one, I just ordered it used... since it's not in the US yet :( SO hopefully I get it soon! I am glad to hear there is no insta-love and it could be a standalone which is a refreshing break from all the cliff hangers.

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been out in the UK since April. I absolutely loved it! I'm really hoping that it stays a standalone, I need a break from series too.
      I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete