25 April 2013

Review: The Edge of Never by J A Redmerski

Review contains mature content and there may be strong language.


Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett had always been one to think out-of-the-box, who knew she wanted something more in life than following the same repetitive patterns and growing old with the same repetitive life story. And she thought that her life was going in the right direction until everything fell apart.

Determined not to dwell on the negative and push forward, Camryn is set to move in with her best friend and plans to start a new job. But after an unexpected night at the hottest club in downtown North Carolina, she makes the ultimate decision to leave the only life she’s ever known, far behind.

With a purse, a cell phone and a small bag with a few necessities, Camryn, with absolutely no direction or purpose boards a Greyhound bus alone and sets out to find herself. What she finds is a guy named Andrew Parrish, someone not so very different from her and who harbors his own dark secrets. But Camryn swore never to let down her walls again. And she vowed never to fall in love.

But with Andrew, Camryn finds herself doing a lot of things she never thought she’d do. He shows her what it’s really like to live out-of-the-box and to give in to her deepest, darkest desires. On their sporadic road-trip he becomes the center of her exciting and daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But will Andrew’s dark secret push them inseparably together, or tear them completely apart?


Ok, so for the past couple of weeks I haven't been reading as much and the last time I felt like I was in a slump I picked up a new adult book and it got me out of it. So, I thought I would do the same again. I actually only requested The Edge of Never from goodreads yesterday but I'd read a review of this book by Jess from Jess Hearts Books and I decided that I was just going to dive straight into this one. And boy am I glad I did. I'm being serious when I say this is the best new adult book I've read this year so far (and I doubt there'll be one that will beat it). It was just so different from the others. There wasn't the same trend with the issues that the characters had and I found it refreshing. The story had a deeper tone to it and I just loved everything about it.


Camryn was such a refreshing female character. She wasn't obsessed with guys or any of the usual stuff girls are into. She wanted to travel the world, think outside the box, not be restricted by jobs or rules and that's what I loved about her character. She was so unique and genuine that I connected with her immediately. I'd admire her balls to drop everything and jump on a bus with no plan of what she was going to. She knew she wanted to travel and that's exactly what she did. I'd love to be able to do what she did, but I don't have the guts to jump on a bus by myself and head of god knows where. 


And then Andrew Parrish was added to the mix. And, wow. From the instant he walked onto the bus late I knew I was going to love him, and I knew Camryn would love him too (eventually). He was cocky, full of himself and so bloody hilarious. I really felt for Andrew because of what he was going through with his family and I just wanted to help him! He brought out a different side of Camryn that she didn't think existed and I they helped each other out along the road. 


So the sex scenes in this book were steamy, and I mean steamy. Andrew's really dominant and brought out a submissive side in Camryn that she didn't know she had. I found myself wishing that I was Camryn on that road trip with Andrew, I would've said yes to him sooner than she did. Seriously. When he said 

"If you were to let me fuck you, you would have to let me own you" 
I actually went weak at the knees. He's got this aura around him that just makes him so damn sexy. He was just so irresistible when he was like that. Those scenes made me love his character even more. I wish that there was more of these scenes though. 

Andrew was hiding something from Camryn though. And it wasn't until they were at his mum's house that I started to piece everything together. I didn't want to believe it. I silenced my thoughts and ignored them until it became so painfully obvious that I was right and then I just cried. And cried some more. It was something that I hadn't seen coming until the end of the book. It was so unexpected and a very cruel twist. And then it just got worse and worse.


The ending was, however, slightly cheesy. I did expect it to be something along those lines because it's a romance novel. They all end well at the end. But to be honest, I didn't really care how cheesy it was. I was so wrapped up in these characters that I didn't care what they did, I just wanted to keep reading about them! This book definitely deserves:

I can't wait for The Edge of Always! I need more Cam and Andrew! Now!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED your review, and thank you so much for mentioning me! I agree with every single thing you said. I need more Andrew now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was your review that made me want to read it so much so you deserved a mention :)
      I need him too! I can't wait until November!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to get my hands on this book! I've heard so many good things. Your review really makes me want to read this even more. I want to know if I like this Andrew as much as you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so so good! I'd bet that you will. I think it'd be hard not to like him ;)

      Delete