3 March 2013

Review: Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans

Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans
Series: The Memory Chronicles #1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: January 15th 2013
Source: Bought



Since her untimely death the day before her eighteenth birthday, Felicia Ward has been trapped in Level 2, a stark white afterlife located between our world and the next. Along with her fellow drones, Felicia passes the endless hours reliving memories of her time on Earth and mourning what she’s lost-family, friends, and Neil, the boy she loved.

Then a girl in a neighboring chamber is found dead, and nobody but Felicia recalls that she existed in the first place. When Julian-a dangerously charming guy Felicia knew in life-comes to offer Felicia a way out, Felicia learns the truth: If she joins the rebellion to overthrow the Morati, the angel guardians of Level 2, she can be with Neil again.

Suspended between Heaven and Earth, Felicia finds herself at the center of an age-old struggle between good and evil. As memories from her life come back to haunt her, and as the Morati hunt her down, Felicia will discover it’s not just her own redemption at stake… but the salvation of all mankind.

Ahhhhhh! This book was awesome!! It did start off quite slow for me though, but about 1/3 of the way into the book the story started to pick up and I just couldn't put it down!

Felicia was an extremely likable main character. I felt sorry for her because she was dead. She was a strong, kind character who had a dark past. Reading about her exploring her memories of her time on Earth helped me get to know her better and see what kind of person she was. They also helped me build a connection with her that continued to build throughout the book.


I wasn't too sure what to think about Julian because of what he was doing in her memories, but when he was in Level 2 with Felicia, I started to really like him. He seemed to have changed and he was desperate to show Felicia that. But then the ending happened and I have no idea what I think about him anymore. I slightly hate him, but I think there will always be a part of me that has a soft spot for Julian.

I instantly knew that I was going to love Neil. He was so kind, sweet and he was just the perfect boyfriend (the complete opposite of Julian). I loved seeing Felicia's memories of her and Neil because they just showed how perfect they were together.


I wasn't a big fan of Mira and I really didn't like Eli, but that might have been because they had to be harsh because they were trying to start a rebellion. But maybe they'll be in Level 3 and I'll get to see what they're really like [unless there's something happening there as well].


The whole concept of this book was extremely intriguing and that why I was so desperate to buy it and read it. I wasn't let down by this story at all [apart from it being slightly slow at the start - but I still loved it!].


There were so many interesting parts to this book. I enjoyed hearing about this history of Level 2 and hearing about the Morati. Also, reading about Felicia's memories helped me learn more about some of the other characters in the books, which I really enjoyed.


And then the ending happened...

WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY?! That's all I could think when it happened.
I was invested in the ending I had in my head and then it was destroyed by something I never saw coming! I couldn't believe it! Well done Lenore for having such an unexpected ending! It was fantastic, but it broke my heart! But then that other little surprise at the end slightly made up for it, but my heart is still in pieces.

I'm so excited for Level 3 (aka Chasing Before) because I know that there's definitely going to be a lot happening! I definitely recommend picking up this book, it was amazing and brilliant and it's definitely worth a read!

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book since its release but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete