7 March 2013

Review: The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler

The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler
Series: No
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: January 5th 2012
Source: Bought



It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.

This book was so cute! I actually didn't plan on picking this up until later on in the month, but I was really in the mood for a contemporary, so I just decided to pick this up.

I love how this book was focused on two best friends - Emma & Josh - but their relationship is slightly awkward now because of something that happened between them. It was nice to see their friendship rebuild throughout the books and I was really hoping that they would manage to get over what happened and become friends again. 


Emma slightly annoyed me. She was so obsessed with her future that she would do anything to change it. She did care what she did or who she hurt, as long as her future self was happy. She seemed like and extremely selfish character, and she was constantly moaning and being depressed about her future. 


Josh, on the other hand, wasn't as obsessed about his future as Emma. Of course, when he found out who he was going to marry, he went out of his way to talk to a girl he normally wouldn't have. But, Josh was really sweet and kind and I just really loved him.


Their reactions to the future were both different and I liked how everything they did in the past would alter the future in some way, even if it was something minor.


Even though I knew how the book was going to end, it didn't spoil the book for me at all. I loved seeing everything that was happening in between that would lead up to the ending. It was a light, sweet, cute read and I'm glad I decided to pick it up.


Overall, The Future or Us ended up being such an adorable book and I loved it. It's such an amazing contemporary and definitely one I recommend.

2 comments: