10 December 2012

REVIEW: Tempest by Julie Cross

Tempest by Julie Cross
Series: Tempest #1
Publisher: Macmillan Children's
Publication Date: August 30th 2012
Source: Bought



The year is 2009. Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler. Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.

I've never read a young adult book with time travel and I'm glad this was the first one! I loved the whole storyline of this book and once I actually had to time to read it, I couldn't put it down. It did take me a couple of days to get into the book (but that might have been because I was distracted with uni work) but I'm so happy that I managed to get into it! 

Jackson was a really interesting character. At first, he just seemed like a typical boy messing about with his time-travel powers and conducting experiments but, after Holly was shot, and he was thrown into the past he tried his hardest to get back to her and used his abilities to find out more about his past and what had led to that moment. I loved seeing the development in his character from a carefree teenage boy into a young man with a huge weight on his shoulders after discovering who he really is. Jackson dealt with everything really well and I admire his character for his strength.

Adam was a really fun, geeky character and he was so smart! Hacking computers and creating his own code! I loved Adam and his crazy ideas.

Holly was a great character as well. I loved seeing 009 Holly at the start and then getting to see what 007 Holly was like. I loved the different relationship between Holly and Jackson in '09 and '07 and I really liked them in '07. 

But I was really happy when Jackson got back to '09 and him and Holly were back to normal. He had to tell Holly what he really was because of all the CIA agents coming after them, but I was glad that he managed to stop Holly from dying.

The ending was really heart-breaking for me. I really wanted Holly and Jackson to work as a couple, but I understand why he did what he did. He was trying to save her from getting hurt and he was saving himself from the pain of losing her.

I don't really think there was anything I didn't like about this book. I loved the whole thing! All in all, I thought this was such an amazing story and it's definitely a book that I highly recommend reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment