10 December 2012

REVIEW: Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate


Eve & Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate
Series: Eve & Adam #1
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: October 2nd 2012
Source: Library



And girl created boy…

In the beginning, there was an apple - 

And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal. Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.

Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?

This book had so much potential! The synopsis sounded amazing and I was really looking forward to reading this book, but I was let down. Although I enjoyed parts of this book, I didn't enjoy quite a lot of it. 

The start of the book was really slow and it took me quite a while to get into it. It picked up in the middle of the book because everything started to become fast-paced and there was a bit of action, but then it died out again. 

I didn't have an attachment to any of the characters in this story. I really didn't like Eve, Aislin, Solo or Adam. I hated Terra, but that was a given. The characters didn't have anything relate-able or likable about them and I was very disappointed by that. They also lacked depth and I felt like the whole point in creating Adam was ruined by the fact that Eve didn't even like him. I mean, what's the point in that? I was expecting a whole love story between Eve and Adam and that wasn't what I got. She was supposed to be creating a perfect male, her 'soul mate', and she doesn't even like him! First she was like 'I'm glad Aislin doesn't like him or I'd have to tell her to back off because Adam's mine' and then in the next chapter she's like 'Adam's not for me. He's too perfect' and I was like MAKE UP YOUR MIND!! You made him that way and now you're complaining And then her and Solo? Really? I mean, I saw it coming from the start, but I did expect her to end up with Adam (He was supposed to be her perfect match) and I just got really confused. I really didn't like the ending of this book at all.
There were parts of the story line that I found confusing and sometimes the writing style confused me and I found myself losing the story. The only part of this book that I really enjoyed was the middle when Eve found out what was really happening at Spiker industries and then that was when there was a lot of action.

I felt like the story line had so much potential and I got really excited about this book when I read the synopsis, but most of the story just dragged for me. I found myself getting distracted extremely easily and I had to force myself to finish reading it (I was more than half way through the book so I decided to finish it). 

This is definitely not a book I would ever read again. I'm not sure if it's Michael Grant's writing style I don't like (I never managed to finish BZRK or Gone). But if you're a fan of Michael Grant you might like this, so I'm not going to say 'Don't read this book!' because it might be the kind of book that other people enjoy, but I just didn't enjoy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment