20 December 2012

Book & Movie Review: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
Series: Lorien Legacies #1
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: February 1st 2011
Source: Bought



In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now. The Nine had to separate and go into hiding.

The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

This book was outstanding. It's the best alien novel I've ever read. I was hooked from the very start of this book.

I really loved John Smith (or Four). He was a very intriguing and powerful character - and not just because he had awesome super powers - but because he was a strong main character. I really enjoyed watching Four grow throughout this book and seeing him develop and mature. The influences that other people had on him really made Four the person he is and he couldn't have became who he is without them.

Sarah is one of those people. She is Four's love interest in the novel and I really liked her character. She was a strong character as well - and I'm referring to her personality here - because she managed to keep it together when she found out her boyfriend was an alien and he was being hunted. I really admire her for not having a major meltdown and I think she was really good for Four.

Sam and Henri were very important characters as well. I enjoyed learning more about Lorien from Henri and seeing how he could help Four to realise his potential. I also found it interesting that Sam's dad must have been mixed in with the Loriens' and the Mogadorians'.

The whole story line of this novel was extremely interesting and I couldn't put the book down. The fight scenes at the end were extremely gripping scenes and I was holding my breath the whole time. 
The end of the book brought in another character that I absolutely loved! Six. Six was bad-ass! She wasn't afraid of anything and was a great addition to the book. I can't wait to find out more about her.

The ending was sad for two different reasons. One happened during the fight scene which I was really upset about and the other at the very end of the book, which I understand why John did what he did. It was necessary for his development and so that he rest of his race could be saved.

It was awesome and I highly recommend that you read it if you haven't already.



Movie Review

I expected a hell of a lot from this movie because the book was so awesome, but I was completely let down. There were only two things I really liked about this movie:
  1. Alex Pettyfer with his top off
    I can't really complain about that
  2. Number Six
    She was as bad-ass in the movie as she was in the book so I really enjoyed seeing her character.
I was pretty annoyed by most of the movie though, because a lot of it had been changed and the movie seemed like everything was happening in such a short space of time.

I hated the romance in the movie. I really didn't like the was Sarah was portrayed and the romance felt extremely rushed to me. They'd only know each other for like a week (or that's what it seemed like). The other part that really really annoyed me was the 'Henri scene'. if you've read the book and seen the movie, you'll know which part I'm talking about. There was no need to change it! It was perfect in the book and in the movie it just seemed stupid! 

There were a lot of things about this movie that they didn't have to change but did it anyways and the movie was a huge let down. It was an average film and I might watch it again if it's on TV, but I won't be buying the DVD.

If you've seen the movie, what did you think of it? And if you've also read the book, what did you think of the adaptation?

2 comments:

  1. I love your review. I have not seen the movie since I have not yet read the book. I will have to do it though. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete